Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Bangs, Bucks, & Higher Ed

Look. If you can go to Harvard, do. OK? Let's get that out of the way right up front.

If you can't, here's a list of 12 places that are good value for money.

I have a lot of connections to schools on this list. I almost went to the University of Cincinnati. I had students who taught at Ohio University. I taught at George Mason. I currently work at the University of Oklahoma. I received job offers from West Virginia University and the University of Texas. I guess I am just a big bang for the buck kind of guy.

Oh and by the way, the average wage premium for a college degree over no college at all was right at $21,000 PER YEAR in 2011.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the issue with judging college cost: an education is worth a lot, but a crappy apartment (i.e. a dorm room) isn't. All these rankings encourage kids to go away to school. Many would be better served by staying home for another four years and getting a degree from one of their local commuter colleges. Obviously, that isn't an option for everybody, but it's an option for many more than take it now.

Angus said...

In many cases I agree with you, though Cincinnati, Houston and GMU all have substantial commuter student populations.