Friday, March 22, 2013

I Learn My Place in the House Pack

I'm in my office at home, working on a paper, trying to finish it before I go to a conference.  The phone rings.  On the caller ID I see it is the LMM, calling from HER office...which is upstairs.  In the same house.  What the heck? "Hello, dear.  Is everything okay?"

She answers, in a low voice:  "Yes, it's fine.  Can you get me some more tea?"

"Um...all right, sure."  I go to the kitchen, which is downstairs, and get her a fresh cup of tea.  I take it up and put it on her desk..

She smiles, and says, "Thanks!  I would have gotten it, but I didn't want to wake the dog." Our new dog, Skip, was sleeping at her feet, and he follows her everywhere if she gets up.

I imagine that this was his reaction when he learned that he is above me in the dominance hierarchy of our house pack.  "Ha, ha, fat man!  I win!  Now make me some bacon!"


Click for an even more triumphant image.

2 comments:

Margy Tuckman said...

Laughed out loud at this story.
Yes you must understand where you are in the pack!!!
sounds like Skip has found a friend

John Covil said...

My wife and I have this exchange via text message. The beagle must not be disturbed when he is sleeping on your lap.