Wednesday, June 20, 2012

de gustibus non est disputatum

Tyler points us to Robin Hanson's suggestion for your charitable contributions. To wit:


"The biggest single charity donation I’ve made so far is ~$100. But now I’m donating $5000 to an exceptionally worthy cause. And I suggest you donate too. Here’s my cause:"

Any guesses, people? Sanitation in the Sudan? AIDS in Africa? Education in Ecuador? Womens' Rights in Waziristan?

 Hell no!

It's this.

Yes, a different way to try and preserve your brain so that you can "live" forever.


I want to be judgemental, I really do.

But Mrs. A and I give roughly 50% of our charitable donations towards animal welfare (the other half goes to aid/development projects in Africa, Latin America & Asia), and I'm sure many people would criticize us for that choice.

I will say though that I would much rather have access to my 30 year old brain right now than access to my, shall we say, 80 year old brain in 2666.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Radical life extension, singularity, cryogenics, etc, is just premillenial dispensationalism for the kind of people who use the word "neurotypical"

Norman said...

I love Robin Hanson's blog, but I find his preferences inscrutable. That's the perfect video clip!

John Thacker said...

It's generally "disputandum." The passive periphrastic is used (with the gerundive/future passive participle) instead of the perfect passive participle, to indicate "must" or strong obligation.

Your version is more a "taste is something that will not be argued about," rather than a "taste is something that must not be disputed."