Sunday, July 25, 2010

Eclipse: La Saga

The EYM was a bit bored with my stay at home ways. We had an early supper (5:30, which is at least 3 hours before dinnertime here), and I was ready to start reading stuff for the evening.

He wanted to do something. It was Saturday night. So, I suggested a movie. Karate Kid just started here, and that looks cute, so I proposed that. He looked a bit startled. So we went to see the new Twilight movie, "Eclipse." (Eclipse was not is first choice either, but there is really nothing else showing except kid movies). I had not seen the others, but how complicated could it be?

Complicated. But the movie was fine. In fact, I liked it a lot, but then I have always like chick-flicks.

Some odd things, though.

1. We had a hard time catching the bus up the hill to the theater. The buses either have the wrong routes on the front lights (they don't change from the previous run) or the lights are off. This is tough, because it is dark. You can't see the number of the bus until it is beside you, doing 30 km/hr or more. And there are 8 different buses that stop (or as it turns out, don't stop) at that bus stop. Kevin finally flags one down, and he stops 50 meters up the street. The drivers get paid based on whether they are on time, not whether they pick up passengers. We were lucky he stopped at all.

2. A sales woman, basically a beggar with some trinket to sell, latched on to me outside the theater. I told her no, twice. She physically pressed up against me, and got on the escalator in this position. I do not react well to such things, and pretty much shouted at her, right in her face. She was amazed at the reaction, I could tell. (At least, she started crying, ran up the escalator, and then ran back down). Clearly, the expected value of the tactic is high enough that it pays her to try it. Angus and I should hire out as anti-beggar phage cells in Latin American malls. We would reduce that expected value calculation in no time.

3. At the theater, I said, "Dos para Eclipse, a las diez y nueve, y diez" (the movie was at 7:10, and they use the 24 hour clock, like we should). The guy stares at me, so I repeat the request. He stares some more, and says, in perfect American-accented English, "Two what? Do you want two TICKETS?" Now, all they sell is tickets at the ticket booth. Perhaps "Two for Eclipse, at 7:10" is not the normal request he gets, though that is the literal translation of what I always ask for in the States. But this guy didn't just speak English, he spoke American. What else could I have possibly been asking for?

In any case, I am a fan of the movie. And forget Edward, honey. A big slice of Jacob is what Bella needs.

5 comments:

Barbara H said...

Ah, you are Team Jacob. Just wait until you see what happens in the final two movies. :-)

Martin said...

What sort of a habit is this putting yourself in the worst possible situations: watching the most shallow movies, teaching in Germany, being a Libertarian in public?

Mungowitz said...

Now, Martin, most people like to do what they are good at.

You are good at futbol, and you play futbol.

I am good at self-degradation, and there I go...

(Plus, I saw "La Carretera," or "The Road," the Viggo Mortensen movie. Did you see that? Seems like more your cup of tea...)

Martin said...

Problem is: My bad knee prevents me from playing soccer these days.

So, since there is not much left where I am good at, I hang around most of the day, reading this blog and all the LA Kings sites I can find.

(I did not see the movie; but it obviously differs in quality from your latest choice. And by the way, it is raining heavily here in Germany: Mungerian summer is back.)

Anonymous said...

But remember: "In the country of the Germans the one-eyed Spanish speaker is the king."

(I am ever so slightly amused, no offense).