Friday, August 22, 2008

Mayor Pat's Turn

Several readers sent emails saying they thought I shouldn't pick on the LG, after I told a joke.

Well...perhaps I shouldn't ONLY pick on the LG. For the Mayor of Charlotte, with its aggressive corporate subsidies, and astronomically expensive light rail....here's to you!

First, from Sir Ernest Benn, who I believe must have had Pat McCrory specifically in mind: 'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy'. I was just in Charlotte, and this is EXACTLY how people described the mayor.

Then, Alexis de Tocqueville: "On my arrival in the United States I was struck by the degree of ability among the governed and the lack of it among the governing."

It's really true. Charlotte is such a vibrant, exciting place. So many interesting people. But....well, you know.